From April 17th to April 23rd, 2023
APPLICATIONS ARE CLOSED
«Norwegian Noir, I create and destroy. Mostly destroy.»
Henrik Aarrestad Uldalen never found his place at school and no one suspected he might possess any specific talent… until he picked up a pencil. For this self-taught artist, the process is more important than the outcome, and he paints as if it were a vital necessity.
Henrik will show you that an artist’s path can be travelled without adhering to a set of rules. He will teach you how to mock perfection, to provide structure to emotion and to destroy so as to create, all by using personal expression as our compass.
Mindset — This Quarantine requires a high level of introspection and detachment from rules. You will need to trust the process and cool your need to control the results.
Technical requirements — Basic oil painting skills.
Accept that the process is more important than the results
Understand that the reference is a mirror in which we can observe our emotions.
Be prepared to transform the way we observe.
You will learn to structure your emotions by working on a composition through use of concepts like abstraction, additive processes, destructive processes, risk, confusion, trial and error, pleasure and suffering.
Henrik Uldalen will show you the philosophies and creative processes that will stimulate your intuition and your “responsive spontaneity”.
Main program: “Muse Hacking“
Lead mentor: Henrik Uldalen
Guest artists: Jeremy Mann, Nadezda, Nicolás Uribe, Vincent Desiderio, Emilio Villalba
Quarantine dates: from April 17th to April 23rd, 2023
Students: 18 max. in the studio. 90 max. in the conference room
Location: Lazaretto Island, Maó, Menorca (Spain)
Quarantine days: 7 days. 12h per day (yes, there will be breaks)
Activities: “boot camps”, art talks, masterclasses, workshops, and mentorships
Program: the program is a secret
Enrollment: registration is by application only / applications are closed
daily ferry boat
fees & taxes
Estrella Damm beer
lodging & breakfast
wine, mixed drinks
Phones are prohibited
Admission is curated
The program is a secret
Who is this Quarantine for?
PERFECT for you if…
- Something tells you there are an infinite number of ways of seeing reality, beyond those that have been instilled upon you.
- You desire to structure your emotions through a more intuitive process.
- You love meeting people like you, participating in art chats and painting alongside Henrik Uldalen.
NOT for you if…
- You need to control a method to obtain predictable and unsurprising results.
- You are more interested in formal correctness than in personal expression.
- You’re not interested in the experience of meeting diverse people, discussing art with them and questioning their ideas.
Who is going to be there?
2D / 3D artists