Do you have any questions?
Here you’ll find information about who we are, the Lazaretto, the program, how to plan your trip, terms, FAQs…
Quarantine Art events label run by top-notch artists in Menorca, Spain. We’re a group of artists, art lovers, and open-minded individuals. Our events include boot camps, talks, masterclasses, mentorship programs, and networking opportunities.
Quarantine was born with the commitment to offer what an academic education, due to its very nature and purpose, cannot: progress as an artist, not as an art student.
Learn more about Quarantine events here:
This event is not for everyone, but it might be for you. Quarantine is not a holiday. You are going to work long and hard here. So, we’re looking for individuals who are growing as artists. Doers, who actually care about their Art, know their stuff, and most importantly… are kind, sharing humans.
Are you looking to expand your connections and get your Art moving? Are you a kind soul who would love to learn from great modern day masters? …then this might just be the place for you.
Are beginners allowed?
YES, OF COURSE, this is a place for learning. We select the most committed artists, not the most polished artists.
We don’t care how good you are, how much success you’ve had, or even how many followers you have. What matters is what lights you up from the inside, and that you’re eager to learn and meet other lovers of art. In short, why you do what you do.
What is quarantine NOT?
- Quarantine is not a painting holiday.
- It’s not an Art retreat.
- It’s not learning how to paint like the mentors.
- Quarantine is an extremely demanding experience.
- If you are looking for a more traditional workshop and you are not willing to be off your phone all day, you best not sign up for this event.
Hard work and (very) good vibes. Intensive, exhausting and game changing “boot camps”, talks, mentorship, workshops and masterclasses. Isolation from outside noise. A connection with our inner self. Brotherhood. Transformation. A bit of Spanish wine.
Aaaaand… unplugged from day to day, farm-fresh healthy meals, and some other fun party favors.
Quarantine requires a high level of personal commitment and is not recommended for everyone. The program is intense and exhausting, requiring a deeper questioning of beliefs and academic principles.
- Be open-minded.
- Think out of the box.
- Expect to be taken out of your comfort zone.
Mentors: Kirsten Anderson, Lita Cabellut, Vincent Desiderio, Ryan Heshka, Miles Johnston, Guillermo Lorca and Martin Wittfooth.
Quarantine dates: from October 16th to October 22nd, 2023
Quarantine days: 7 days. 12h per day
Private mentoring sessions: 3 x 40 min.
Art Lab: 6 hours a day
Students: 60 min. / 95 max.
Location: Lazaretto Island, Maó, Menorca (Spain)
Application type: jury selection based on a questionnaire / private invitation
We are aware that making international payments can be confusing and/or challenging. Here are a few things we’ve learned along the way through a bit of trial and error:
With international credit card payments, virtually all issues are attributable to two problems:
- First, your limit may be below the amount needed for this payment. You can request a temporary or permanent increase in this limit.
- Or second, some banks’ security systems automatically blocks certain international operations. If you inform your credit card company that you wish to make such a payment, there should be no problem.
Direct bank transfer
- Please use your name and Order ID as the payment reference. We will confirm your reservation once the funds have cleared in our account.
- When ordering the wire transfer from your bank, kindly be sure to select “euros (€)” as the transfer currency, and “sender/payer/issuer” for any associated transfer fees or commissions. This will help ensure that we receive the correct payment amount. Thank you!
- We are aware that making international payments can be confusing and/or challenging. Most banks should be able to carry out international wire transfers without a hitch. If you prefer this payment method, we can supply you with the EP album version of our bank and company details, which you will need for your bank to complete the order.
The event includes two meals a day; lunch and dinner, as well as water, coffee, tea and soft drinks during studio breaks. Beer is included courtesy of Estrella Damm. Wine, mixed drinks and other beverages out of the studio are not included.
Vegan option available. Please notify us in advance of any special dietary needs or serious allergies, but please provide us with medical certificate to justify these.
Our chefs work extremely hard to produce their edible artwork, and we’d love not to unnecessarily complicate their efforts. We of course CANNOT offer full restaurant services or attend to personal preferences, but get ready, your meals will be excellent.
Lazaretto island is a shelter where connecting with authenticity is still possible. We provide a loving and nurturing atmosphere where people can express themselves artistically, and where strangers end up feeling like family.
But, hey, we have few rules here…
All these moments will be lost like cadmium tears in solvent.
Seriously, no exceptions. What happens on the island stays on the island. If you don’t feel ready for this, you best not enroll in this experience.
You will be working hard here. Unleash your attention. Really unplug and connect with what is here and now using your brain, not your phone. You may not think so now, but you’ll thank us for it.
* Registration to any Quarantine event implies acceptance of any and all rules and regulations established for and by the event. This includes a strict commitment to the non-possession and use of cell phones at all times while on Lazaretto Island.
Our “boot camps” are generating quite a stir, but they’re not for everyone. They are highly intense experiences and require an open mind. And we know from experience that not everyone is ready.
Mentors and Quarantine staff will make a selection from among the most committed applicants.
- Commitment level
- Open mind
- Variety: we aim to put together a heterogeneous group. We love mixing applicants from different creative fields.
⚠️ We recommend that you choose multiple options for your mentor to increase your chances.
When will I know if I am selected?
Please try to avoid writing to us from time to time to inquire about the selection process. We know you are eager to participate, but this process takes time. We will inform you in due course, we promise!
That said, you will have an answer within 10 days of submitting your application. If your heart is set on attending Quarantine, we recommend applying sooner than later, as applications will be reviewed in stages and groups are likely to fill up.
Sure. For a convenient Quarantine, we highly suggest you stay right in Es Castell. Here you have a few great hotel recommendations:
- Artiem Carlos Hotel — Quarantine HQ (9 minute walk to the pier)
- Sant Joan de Binissaida (5 minute transfer)
- Pardela Menorca (4 minute walk to the pier)
- Hotel Victori (6 minute walk to the pier)
- Seth Agamenón (11 minute walk to the pier)
- Barceló Hamilton (5 minute walk to the pier)
Ask about special Quarantine Promo Codes.
The pier is located in the charming port of Cales Fonts, In the town of Es Castell, just beside Maó.
Whatever happens, happens, I can say no more.
So, cell phones will be prohibited simply to avoid distraction, but also to reveal that living the experience is more important than documenting it like a tourist.
The ancient Venetians knew how to spread information disguised in secret. They understood that the longer they kept a secret, the quicker it would spread. So it seems you’ll just have to discover the program’s little secrets alla Veneziana!
For participants who will be here a few days before the event begins, the best art supply shop in the area is ARGOS.
Bear in mind that the Quarantine event takes place from Monday to Sunday from early in the morning until late in the evening, and hence it will be impossible to visit these shops during the week of the event.
They have two locations, a smaller shop in the centre of Maó on Carrer d’en Deià, 4, and a somewhat larger shop just outside of town on Carrer de Vassallo, 64. They normally stock basic art materials, but variety and supply may be limited.
Approximate opening hours for both locations are:
- Monday-Friday: 9:30 am – 1:30 pm, 5:00 pm – 8:00 pm
- Saturday: 9:30 am – 1:30 pm
- Sundays: closed
Regarding supplies, we highly encourage all participants BRING everything they need for the entire event. Understandably, you may consider the option of shipping your supplies to Menorca before the event.
Unfortunately, and for a variety of reasons, this is far more complicated and risky than it may appear. We have tried this in the past, for smaller events that were NOT held on a separate island, with a variety of logistical issues that WE HAVE EXPERIENCED:
- Shipping time is both longer than you may expect and unpredictable, especially for shipments from afar (North America, South America, Australia, Africa…).
- Shipping fees are typically more expensive than purchasing an extra piece of luggage (if necessary) with your airline.
- Due to the European Union, and since Brexit, now more than ever customs are extremely rigorous, and they charge substantial taxes and fees to the recipient of non-EU packages.
- Packages very often arrive in poor condition, damaged, or worse… after the event is over or not at all!
- There is no address for shipments to be received on Lazaretto Island, and receiving shipments to private addresses would require someone be present upon delivery.
We therefore encourage you to read our “how to travel with oil paints” document, as over the years we have seen VERY few problems with materials passing customs at airports when THEY ARE PROPERLY PACKED AND LABELLED, so pack carefully and if necessary, purchase an extra piece of luggage, so as to avoid a plethora of logistical, financial, timing and misunderstanding issues.
Many artists ask us how they can travel with their oil paints to avoid problems at airport controls. Most art materials are safe to travel with, but a few can be dangerous.
Consequently, you must properly pack, label and document your oil paints. Even if allowed, they can be a red flag for border agents.
In this guide we summarize everything you need to know to travel calmly, safely and have no surprises. Click on the book to read online or to download the PDF:
Sorry, we do not provide our phone number here. As you are aware, you may be awake and fresh on the other side of the world but our phone may ring in the middle of the night… Do you know the feeling?
If you’d like to speak to us directly, just send us an email and we’d be happy to schedule a phone call.
Last modified October 2022
Please read this text carefully and don’t panic, we are legally required to include the whole scoop. We’ve put the most important stuff in bold. Quarantines are arranged by Quarantine Events. All information is given in good faith.
- First, when booking our events you automatically accept these terms and conditions.
- Second, it is your responsibility to be in possession of a valid passport or identification card, as well as any visas, permits, certificates, or other documents needed for your entire journey, including medical certificates.
- Third, and most importantly, the admission process will follow a first come, first serve (review, assess and respond) basis.
- Registration to any Quarantine event implies acceptance of any and all rules and regulations established for and by the event. This includes a strict commitment to the non-possession and use of cell phones at all times while on Lazaretto Island.
- You must be physically and mentally fit for the proposed activities before arrival. If you have any doubts about this, please contact us to explain any medical conditions that may affect the running of the art events. Some workshops and boot camps may not be suitable for individuals with certain medical conditions.
- The very nature of some of these Quarantines (particularly those held out of the classrooms) involve visiting a variety of outdoor and indoor locations. Some of our activities can be somewhat more risky (countryside, villages, harbors, boats…). We do our best to keep you safe, but it is in all cases your responsibility to use your best judgment and sense to ensure your own personal safety.
Once your application is accepted, we’ll reserve your spot for 5 days, until your payment is received (direct bank transfer option). We will confirm your admission as soon as the transaction appears on account.
- Quarantine Events reserves the right to change these Terms and Conditions, if necessary, at any time. Changes will be published on Quarantine’s website and communicated via email.
- Quarantine Events reserves the right to modify prices, class size, services, or content at any time. If changes occur, we will promptly notify you and give you the option to accept or cancel your reservation.
- Quarantine Events reserves the right to postpone or cancel an event if we don’t reach the required minimum number of participants. In this case, we would notify you at least 30 days prior to the event’s start date.
- If we cancel an event, we will fully refund all your payments. Refunds are limited to total payments made to Quarantine Events.
- Quarantine Events will not be liable for any consequential loss of any kind, no matter how such loss is incurred. So, we strongly suggest not purchasing plane and hotel tickets until we confirm the Quarantine Event.
- In the rare case that the designated teacher cannot attend due to illness or other uncontrollable circumstances, we will fully reimburse your fee. If a teacher has to depart after the event has started, we will provide a proportionate refund.
- Flexibility is required from all parties, and alternative plans may be necessary due to weather or local conditions. The itinerary and outdoor workshop description are not binding, but are merely an indication of potential event activities.
- IWeather-related issues: Please note that rain may occur during the event week, but it usually will not cause significant disruption. In rare cases, the weather may be so severe that waves in the Port of Maó make the ferry to Lazaretto Island inoperable (this happens 1-2 days per year). In this case, Quarantine will not be held responsible and will not provide reimbursement for the missed day. However, we will provide a great “Plan B” for that day.
- Registration fees are neither refundable, transferable nor exchangeable.
- Cancellations: If you decide to cancel, you must properly notify us in advance by email.
- The % refund applicable depends on WHEN you notify us of your cancellation:
- More than 90 days: 70% refund
- 90 to 61 days: 50% refund
- 60 to 31 days: 30% refund
- 30 days or less prior to the start of the Quarantine event: no refund
PS – We are truly sorry, but we have to pay for everything anyway.
If cancellation is covered under the terms of your private insurance policy you may be able to claim such charges to your insurance company.
- The booking process will follow a first come, first serve basis.
- Phones, pets and illegal substances are prohibited on the island.
- The facilities, services, and instruction provided during these Quarantines are for the exclusive use of our clients. Guests are not allowed without the express permission of Quarantine Events.
- An assistant will greet you and take you to the Lazaretto Island by boat from the Cales Fonts harbor. Once you arrive on the islet, our staff will welcome you and assist you with your initial needs.
- Missed ferries: Quarantine will provide you with the exact schedule for ferry operations from Cales Fonts to the Lazaretto Island in the morning, as well as for the return trip at the end of the day. If for any reason you should miss the last ferry to the event in the morning or back to Cales Fonts in the evening, Quarantine shall not be held responsible for your private transportation or for missing a day of the event. We will of course do anything we can to provide you with information on water taxi services or other options. (Please be on time!)
- Neither Quarantine Events nor their assigns is liable to any injuries or health problems during the stay.
- Quarantine Events and its associates are not responsible for any stolen property on Lazaretto Island. It’s a private environment and there’s nothing to fear. But we suggest you keep your belongings safe.
- You will sign a document stating that you are responsible for all of your actions, safety, and risks you may take during the event.
- Quarantine Events does not accept responsibility or liability for death, bodily harm or illness caused to the client or any other person included on the application form. Any claims shall be subject to Spanish Law with regard to any issues of liability or compensation.
- Your own private insurance policy must cover any situations that may arise such as accident, illness, death and any repatriation costs.
- Quarantine Events does not accept liability for any losses or additional expenses caused by delay or interruption to travel services due to weather conditions, sea storms, civil disturbances, industrial actions, strikes, wars, floods, sickness or other force majeure. Such losses or additional expenses are the responsibility of the passenger. Force majeure represents unusual and unforeseeable circumstances such as war or the threat of war, pandemics, riots, terrorist activity, civil unrest, industrial disputes, natural or nuclear disasters, fire, flood, adverse weather conditions, etc.
- You must show proof of your identification and insurance coverage at the time of your arrival. We will require:
- Name of insurance company
- Insurance policy number
- Insurance emergency or hotline telephone number