From April 17th to April 23rd, 2023
APPLICATIONS ARE CLOSED
Emilio Villalba received training at top schools and learned to draw and paint with excellence. His passion, however, freed him from this straitjacket to reveal personal meaning in the methods he acquired from his teachers.
He is living proof of how an artist can break free from her or his training, without rejecting it. Emilio will show you how to channel order to express disorder, emotion, abstraction, inquisitiveness, restlessness, obsession and discord.
Emilio Villalba is like a spiral: in constant evolution, although without losing his identity.
Mindset — This quarantine requires a high level of detachment from the most deeply-rooted tendencies of the painting practice: the quest for a beautiful result and the craving to display what you do well.
Technical requirements — Basic oil painting skills.
Be open to recognizing that you may be painting for the wrong reasons, due in large part to an erroneous reward system.
Be wary of external influences so as to be your own influence, looking into yourself through painting.
Accept that beauty is found in the very risk of the process, not in controlling the results.
Emilio proposes fusing your immediate surroundings and your painting, without prior sketching nor any predetermined composition; directly and without trial, with no intent of getting it right or producing beautiful paintings.
It doesn’t matter if the end result is a figurative or abstract piece, or both at once. What matters is that your work resounds with the environment in a genuine and direct manner.
Main program: “Muse Hacking“
Lead mentor: Emilio Villalba
Guest artists: Henrik Uldalen, Jeremy Mann, Nadezda, Nicolás Uribe, Vincent Desiderio
Quarantine dates: from April 17th to April 23rd, 2023
Students: 18 max. in the studio. 90 max. in the conference room
Location: Lazaretto Island, Maó, Menorca (Spain)
Quarantine days: 7 days. 12h per day (yes, there will be breaks)
Activities: “boot camps”, art talks, masterclasses, workshops, and mentorships
Program: the program is a secret
Enrollment: registration is by application only / applications are closed
daily ferry boat
fees & taxes
Estrella Damm beer
lodging & breakfast
wine, mixed drinks
Phones are prohibited
Admission is curated
The program is a secret
Who is this Quarantine for?
PERFECT for you if…
- You want to visually breathe with your surroundings and let yourself go, without concern for the results.
- You feel trapped by the impulse to “do the right thing” and “paint beautiful things”, but you somehow know this cannot be the right path.
- You love meeting people like you, participating in art chats and paintign alongside Emilio Villalba.
NOT for you if…
- For you, abstraction as a visual solution is not as valid as figuration.
- You long for perfection, in the sense of accuracy with respect to a given reference.
- You’re not interested in the experience of meeting diverse people, discussing art with them and questioning their ideas.
Who is going to be there?
2D / 3D artists